Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another Year and more tech toys

So this Christmas has been great. I have always been in a world that revolved around Windows and Unix / Linux but this season has ushered in a new era of MAC devices. MacBook Air, new Mac Mini, MacPro. I have to say that making the plunge, it's refreshing to run on the other side of the tech world. Macs are fun to work in. And once you get over the small annoyances: mouse wheel is reversed, can't cut and paste files, it's a great Operating system. I have always had a mac, mostly mac minis but always used them just for staging and testing software or for documentation and help desk services. This was the first time I used it as a daily driver for all my work and fun.

Having used Linux and being proficient in both Windows and Linux made the transition to my Macs easier. The software is beautiful to work with. Graphical, easy to understand and everything is snappy except IMail. I opted for Thunderbird instead. Most of my Windows software has gone opensource anyways - LibreOffice, Firefox, Chrome, 7Zip, etc. So installing these same applications on the macs were a breeze and gave me a quick way in to being productive on the macs right away.

For anyone who is already using free software and is already in the mindset of learning and using alternative software like libreoffice instead of Microsoft Office, running a MAC will be second nature and after a week or so, you will wonder why you were not using a MAC to begin with.

I still have Linux on my laptop and have it running in a dual boot on my Mac Pro but I have since removed Windows off all my machines. If I need to I can always load it in a VM but after almost a month, the urge to boot up a windows instance has not come up.

I look forward to this year as I learn about all the cool things that can be created using the more native MAC software like iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture, Final Cut.

No comments: